If you want to become a cable technician, you must know about the duties and roles carried out by the cable technicians. Ideally, a cable technician installs, repairs, and maintains cabling for internet and television services, especially in the residential areas. The primary duties of a cable technician are likely to include installing some feeder lines that offer cable access to several homes and companies, laying ground cable, and set up restricted equipment for patrons.
A cable technician is also likely to design and install Wide Area Networks (WAN), Local Area Networks (LAN), besides Cable TV. They tend to understand various cable types and how they would work together to create a successful network.
Job Description – Cable Technician
Ideally, cable technicians work in software companies and wire cabling companies. The cable technicians are mainly responsible for installing, maintaining, or even troubleshooting or repairing various residential and commercial voice or data cables. They are likely to service only feeder lines that tend to deliver access to multiple homes or work with drop lines that allow only one residential house.
The cable technicians who tend to be in an advanced stage of their career can work on trunk lines, which are the main lines for the entire area. Some other duties include laying cable on the ground, inspecting some cable lines, repairing towers or poles, and driving work vehicles to different job locations.
Cable technicians are also responsible for installing data or voice cable systems for residential table systems, home routers, and even other cabled devices. Being a cable technician, your duties are likely to install some equipment and troubleshoot any issues amid the cable system.
If you want to become a successful cable technician, you need to have strong knowledge of some electrical systems besides home entertainment systems and, of course, cable technology. In addition, you need to work even in cramped areas at heights and interact with patrons in a friendly and professional manner. Above all, you need to provide high-quality services to all your clients.
Skills Required – Cable Technician
Suppose you want to become a successful cable technician. In that case, you must have some excellent verbal and interpersonal skills as you would be working regularly with other technicians and suppliers besides clients. In addition, you must have strong math and science skills so you can perform your job effectively. Finally, you should be able to work in both indoor and outdoor environments with minimum supervision.
Job Responsibilities – Cable Technician
- You need to install, maintain and repair a cable infrastructure.
- You need to ensure that you perform maintenance on current cable systems.
- The cable technician also needs to check the newly installed or relocated cables as per the client’s specifications.
- Besides that, you also need to identify and remove the redundant cables.
- You need to know how to install televisions, routers, and internet technology services.
- If there is any issue with the cable network, you also need to know how to troubleshoot it.
- You must know how to install cable support structures, including j-hooks and cable racks beside the inner duct.
- It would be best if you repaired cable poles and towers.
- You need to ensure all the cables are tied neatly and bundled in adherence to the safety laws.
- You must complete all the paperwork in time and do your vehicle inspection considering the service orders.
Job Requirements – Cable Technician
- It is mandatory to have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- The candidate should have some previous experience as a cable technician.
- You must be able to work in cramped areas
- Will be required to be able to install challenging wires and television tools.
- You should be able to work in heights also.
Frequently Asked Questions
1 Will I be required to work in areas that are in excess height?
Ans. As a cable technician, you should be ready to work in different working areas, be it height, low, or rural or urban areas. It would help if you were not fussy about the area, as the employers look forward to hiring someone who accepts the area.
2 Do I need to have any particular certifications in hand while applying for the role of a cable technician?
Ans. When applying for the role of a cable technician, there are no particular certifications you are required to possess. But, yes, you must have all the skills needed to perform this job without any flaws when it comes to skills.
3 What is the core role of a cable technician?
Ans. As the name suggests, a cable technician is responsible for performing activities such as installing and repairing the cable wires needed to run the internet, cable, etc. There are times such as rains, where the wire gets bad, and that is the time when cable technicians are required to fix the technical issue.