Felons convicted of felonies lose an opportunity to get jobs. Felons cannot get involved in trade activities. They also face a trust issue where their credibility and reliability are a matter of concern. Felons can however focus on learning new skills and choose a definite career path.
This article covers the following aspects.
1 What is the Role of the Labor Union?
2 Different Kinds of Labor Union
3 Advantages for Joining a Labor Union
4 Felons Get a Chance to Join Unions.
5 Suggestive Course of Action.
Role of Labour Union
The Labour union works to safeguard the interests of workers. They work to improve aspects such as wages, working hours, and conditions to work. Labour unions also work with workers, to ensure they receive financial aid and medical benefits on time. Mechanics, factory workers, teachers, doctors formulate the unions. Union also gives its services at an economical cost to members.
Different Kinds of Labour Unions
There are three kinds of Labour unions. These are craft unions, industrial unions, and employee unions for the public sector. Occupations such as carpenters, mechanics, and electricians formulate the craft union. Occupations in the transportation and foodservice industry formulate the industrial union.
Job opportunities in the warehouse, construction industry formulate industrial unions. Transporting goods from one place to another also formulate industrial unions. All government officials formulate the employee union for the public sector.
Advantages of Joining A Union
- Labour union equips its members to negotiate well.
- Negotiation focuses on the improvement of working hours, wages, and working conditions of the workers.
- Union members can achieve other benefits through collective bargaining such as medical and financial aid.
- They achieve a 20% increment in wages, whereas Non-Union jobs do not offer this flexibility.
- Union members also receive regular hikes in pay scales.
- Union jobs also offer benefits in health, pension accounts & pay employees for sick leave.
- These jobs offer job security to employees.
- A genuine reason however is important to fire an employee from the job.
- Misconduct and poor performance are the main reasons to fire an employee.
- Non-Union workers can lose their jobs without a strong reason at times.
- Discrimination on caste, race, gender, or religion cannot be a valid reason to fire an employee.
- A union cannot fire pregnant women employees.
Felons Get a Chance To Join Unions
- Felons are free to join any union they like.
- Some specific convictions disqualify felons to become union members.
- Searching for a suitable job in a specific union is a major challenge.
- Jobs involving a licensing requirement may not be suitable for felons. These have restrictions of their own.
- Valid license and union membership is also a key requirement for some union jobs.
- Unions do not permit felons practicing fraud and deceptive trade practices to get a job with any union.
- Child abuse and sexual abuse however bar felons to get a job with unions of their choice.
- Violent practices and involvement in burglary also bar felons to secure a job with the Union.
- Job application for a union job requires honest filling.
- Felons should share all details of a felony in the application form honestly.
- Any fraud or revelations which a felon deliberately does not reveal is a punishable offense.
- Dishonest felons who can demonstrate trustworthiness fail to create a good impression in eyes of authorities.
- This also leads to losing a good chance to secure a job with a union.
- Felons who demonstrate good character honesty and showcase corrective measures to improve present life.
- Become eligible to secure a good job with a union.
- Felons who receive a clean record get a better chance to secure a job with a union.
- Felons can specify details on non-conviction supporting it with a clean record from background verification check.
Felons can use educational qualifications and training programs to get a job with a union. Felons must receive support from family, friends, and counselors to lead an honest life. Past mistakes can take away a good chance from a felon to get a job with a union.
Union jobs equip felons and their families to lead a life of fulfillment. Felons can earn an honest livelihood with jobs such as electricians and plumbers. They receive a regular income with improved working conditions. Felons receive training to continuously upskill themselves. They receive equal opportunity to raise their queries and concerns with employers through a union. They also receive job security, financial security, and health benefits with a union job.
A felony can reduce the chance to secure a decent job with a union. Some states also encourage ex-convicts to apply for positions, not considering their record. Felons can also apply for felon-friendly organizations that hire as per a felon’s talent for a job. Unions ensure felons report to their shifts on time. Felons can work systematically. They are also known to be reliable and accountable for their work.
Role of A Felon
- Seeking a job depends on the skillset and talent.
- Felons are responsible to become trustworthy and honest this makes employers hire them.
- They join unions to get a secure job with all benefits.
- Felons should however avoid violent crimes which can make them lose the jobs.
- Entry-level jobs are more suitable for felons as they offer a scope of growth.
- Regular increments are also part of the pay package.
- Employers assess performance at regular intervals.
- Union jobs also offer perks like retirement benefits to felons.
- The work environment offers growth and development opportunities to felons.
- All felons must however meet the eligibility criteria to get a job with a union.
No felon faces any restrictions to join a union. Unions focus on developing skills and provide suitable opportunities to felons. Felons must focus on securing a good job with a union with all benefits. They can maintain cordial relations with unions. Felons receive benefits from cordial relationships with unions. Talent and relevant skillset are essential for a union job. Trust and integrity play a critical role in getting a job. Felons can shape a good character while being in a union job. They lead a life of dignity and honesty to build a stable career within a union job.
Felons can receive numerous opportunities to work with unions. A background check validates all personal information a felon shares in the application. Felons can also apply for various entry-level positions within a union. Many nonprofit organizations assist felons to enhance their knowledge and skills so that they can achieve professional goals.
Employers give importance to the safety and security of other employees while they hire a felon. Felons are encouraged not to sit idle and reestablish themselves in different careers. During any employment, if felons are convicted for any kind of felony, their jobs can be dismissed with immediate effects. A felon requires a clean record to acquire necessary business licenses and valid permits.
Serious criminal offenses can lead to no consideration or termination of employment. Felons who face trials for forgery may also not be considered for employment. It however completely depends on a will of an employer to hire a felon convicted of a felony. The union jobs provide fair opportunities to felons for employment. Felon must be consistent in their career path to achieve success in the future.