Hotels are a labor-intensive industry. They require felons to have experience in a similar line of work. Upon release, felons can try and apply to hotels to seek a suitable career opportunity that makes them financially stable and confident. The only question however that worries felons is “Do Hotels Run Background Checks for Felons”.
The article explores the following topics related to felons getting hired at a hotel.
- Hotels Hire Felons
- Application Process for Felons
- Background Check Process for Felons
- Felony Type Make a Difference
- Self – Background Verification Check for Felons
- Tips to Overcome Failing in Background Verification Check
Hotels Hire Felons
1 Hotels are felon friendly employers
2 Many large hotel chains employ felons with either a criminal record or felony conviction.
3 This doesn’t mean all felons are eligible for a job in a hotel.
4 Each hotel however has its own set of rules and regulations for different departments to hire felons.
5 Felons can work in hotel operations such as housekeeping, maintenance, kitchen staff, other areas of choice.
6 Every department can provide suitable opportunities to felons since the hotel industry is popular for the high level of employee turnover.
Application Process for Felons
- The hotel application process is different for each hotel and hotel chain.
- The hotel industry in the USA has 2 million employees who are employed in Hotels.
- The basic positions include manager, desk clerk, housekeeping staff, chefs, and bell desk officers who are known as bellhops.
- Hotel staff focuses on creating comfortable accommodations to meet the needs of guests staying in the hotel.
- Entry-level staff requires a minimum age bracket of 16 years.
- Formal education however is not a specific need to work for hotels.
- To maintain the quality of workers, hotels prefer diplomas in hotel management or other degree programs.
- There are also specific training programs to equip felons with the required skills and knowledge to serve customers.
- Management positions at hotels however require higher education in hospitality and business.
- Front desk positions talk about customer service skills to serve customers in hotels.
- Housekeeping staff works for strenuous working hours and they are also expected to maintain energy throughout long shifts.
- Desk clerk positions and managerial positions also require previous work experience in similar fields.
- Hiring Managers use face-to-face interviews to assess felons for various positions.
- Hiring Managers also allow felons to grow and express themselves honestly about criminal history.
Background Check Process for Felons
- Background verification check is necessary for felons because guests are involved along with felons.
- The hotel wants to provide a safe and secure environment to customers and felons contribute to doing so.
- Felons can apply for roles involving sensitive duties like money handling, serving customers, entering guest rooms, and representing the hotel with guests.
- Background verification check is an in-depth analysis for ensuring felons are safe for the hotel, its staff, and customers.
- Various entry-level jobs require consent from felons to conduct a detailed background verification check.
- There are always new opportunities for felons in the hotel industry due to the high rate of employee turnover.
- Once felons clear the background verification check, felons receive the conditional offer from hotels.
- The management scans the criminal history of the past 7 years.
- The hotel management checks the credit report for management positions.
- The credit report of felons plays a critical role in securing jobs with hotels.
Felony Type Make a Difference
- Various felonies which have serious convictions involved refrain felons from getting a decent job with hotels.
- Felons do not get respect in society due to serious offenses committed in the past.
- Hotels want to secure the life of customers so they do not hire felons with serious convictions.
- Felons with a violent mindset may prove as a threat to customers.
- This reduces their opportunity to grow in the hotel industry or secure a good job.
- Felons do not receive any kind of support from large hotel chains that makes them financially sound.
- The only option felons have is getting their record expunged which creates new job opportunities for felons with misdemeanors.
- Felons with drug or alcohol abuse charges lose an opportunity to join hotels.
- Hotels look for loyal and friendly staff who can serve customers with their hearts and soul.
- Joining the hotel industry assists felons to transform themselves into better individuals in the long run.
- Felons with crimes like fraud or embezzlement can also work against felons as a security threat to the hotel.
Self – Background Verification Check for Felons
Running a self – background verification check allows felons to understand what all details can get revealed in a formal background verification check. The felons can take legal advice from attorneys which take actions and assist felons to understand background verification results.
Felons can seek this legal advice to tackle all questions properly related to their criminal history in the interview cycle. They must give their best shot by being successful in the interview and share their criminal history appropriately without taking the hiring manager by surprise.
Felons can use documents like driving records, credit report, character certificates from the court, educational records from the National Student Clearing House. These are documents for a personal background verification check.
Every background verification check has its criteria to hire felons. However, even after going through the background verification check felons may not get hired by hotels. They can challenge the disputed finding of the background verification check. Felons can use this opportunity to prepare themselves better for an interview with any other employer in a similar field. Each experience makes felons better and they can meet the job requirements better in the future.
Being persistent with sincere efforts helps felons crack the best job opportunity in the future. There may be several employers willing to hire felons and felons should never lose heart before finding the right fit in employment. Job search is directly linked to background verification check, felons who can get their record expunged hold a better opportunity to work in hotels. Felons must focus on gaining relevant skills and experience to serve better in hotels.