Target Corporation is one of the largest retailers in the United States, with over 1,800 stores in all 50 states. It’s no surprise, then, that the company is always on the lookout for new employees.
In recent years, Target has been advertising that 16-year-olds can work in its stores. But Does Target Hire 16-Year-Olds? And does that mean the company is violating child labor laws?
Let’s find out!
- What Is Target?
- What Jobs Are Available At Target?
- Does Target Hire 16-Year-Olds?
- Tips For Balancing School And Work
- More Info About Working At Target
- Final Thoughts
What Is Target?
Target Corporation is one of the largest discount retailers in the United States, with over 1,800 stores across all 50 states. The company was founded in 1902 by George Dayton as the Dayton Dry Goods Company, and its first store was located in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Today, Target is a publicly traded corporation with over 350,000 employees. It offers a wide range of products – from clothing and electronics to home goods and groceries – at discounted prices.
What Jobs Are Available At Target?
Target offers a variety of job opportunities to its employees.
Some of these positions include:
- Cashier: Cashiers are responsible for processing payments, handling customer transactions, and providing excellent customer service.
- Stocking Associate: Here, employees stock shelves, take inventory, and keep the store aisles neat and organized.
- Customer Service Representative: This position involves helping customers with questions or complaints and providing them with the best possible customer service experience.
- Sales Associate: This involves helping customers find the products they need and providing information about sales and promotions.
The company also has jobs in the areas of:
- Loss prevention: To help reduce loss in the store by monitoring customers, apprehending shoplifters, and looking out for suspicious activity.
- Supply chain: To manage the flow of goods from the company’s suppliers to its stores.
- Computer support: To provide technical assistance and troubleshooting.
- Human resources: To recruit and hire new employees.
- Visual merchandising: To create attractive displays that will draw customers in and increase sales.
Each position comes with an array of benefits, including competitive wages and generous discounts on Target merchandise.
Does Target Hire 16-Year-Olds?
Yes! Target is one of the few retailers in the U.S. that hires 16-year-olds to work in its stores. According to the company’s website, “Target gives young people an opportunity to earn money, develop job skills and gain valuable experience.”
That said, there are certain restrictions in place when it comes to hiring 16-year-olds at Target. For instance, they can only work in positions that don’t require them to operate machinery or lift more than 25 pounds.
What are the Child Labor Laws for 16-Year-Olds?
The United States Department of Labor has strict regulations when it comes to hiring 16-year-olds, including the hours they can work and the types of jobs they can do. Generally, they can work up to eight hours a day, 40 hours a week. They’re also prohibited from working in hazardous jobs, such as those involving machinery or exposure to hazardous chemicals.
Target’s Child Labor Policy?
Target’s policy states that employees must be at least 16 years of age to work in its stores. However, the company is aware that many state and federal laws restrict the hours and duties minors can do. As such, Target has set up specific guidelines for hiring 16-year-olds.
Depending on state or local law, 16-year-olds are allowed to work up to:
- Three hours on school days.
- Eight hours on non-school days.
- Forty hours per week during the summer.
How to Apply for a Job at Target?
If you’re 16 years of age or older and looking for a job at Target, the process is fairly straightforward. You can apply in-store by visiting the store’s customer service desk or online through Target’s website. Once you’ve completed the application, be sure to read and sign the Target Acknowledgement of Policies document. After that, all you have to do is wait for a call from the hiring team.
What is the Wage for 16-Year-Olds at Target?
The minimum wage for 16-year-olds is determined by federal law. Currently, the rate is $7.25 per hour. However, Target pays above the minimum wage rate of $15.00 per hour. Additionally, Target offers its employees generous discounts, various insurance plans, and other benefits.
What other Stores Can 16-Year-Olds Work at?
Finding a job as a 16-year-old can be challenging, but with the right attitude and a bit of perseverance, it’s possible. In addition to Target, there are several other retailers that offer jobs for 16-year-olds. These include Walmart, Lowe’s, and Home Depot. Most of these stores offer entry-level jobs like cashier, stocker, and sales associate positions. As always, be sure to check the local and federal laws before applying.
Tips For Balancing School And Work
Finding a balance between school and work can be tough, but it is doable.
Here are some tips to help make things a bit easier:
- Set realistic goals and objectives. Make sure you set aside enough time to complete your schoolwork without sacrificing your job duties.
- Create a schedule. Planning out your days in advance will help you stay organized and make sure you’re getting everything done.
- Stay connected. Talk to your teachers and supervisors regularly to ensure everyone is on the same page.
- Get enough sleep! Make sure you get at least eight hours of sleep each night so you can stay focused and productive.
- Stay motivated! Remind yourself why you chose to take on the job in the first place, so you don’t lose sight of your goals.
- Eat healthily! Eating healthy snacks and meals will help you stay energized and focused. Along with drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
- Have fun! Working while in school isn’t easy, but it can be rewarding. Remember to take breaks and enjoy the rewards of your hard work.
Read more: Lowe’s Pro Desk
More Info About Working At Target
For a more in-depth guide about Target, check out How Old Do You Have To Be To Work at Target, and for your rates of pay and working hours, Does Target Pay Weekly, and How Much Does Target Pay, as well as the Target Mission and Vision Statement Analysis, to learn more about the company.
Now that you have the necessary info, check out our in-depth guide to the Target Application as well as the most common Target Interview Questions, followed by Does Target Hire Felons if you have a criminal record?
Are you unhappy with your purchase and looking for a refund? Then, you’ll want to know more about the Target Makeup Return Policy, the Target Clothing Returns Policy, as well as the Target Return Policy After 90 Days, and in case you lost yours, take a look at the Target Return Policy Without Receipt in 2023.
Target is a great place for 16-year-olds to gain valuable work experience. There is a wide range of jobs available, from stocking shelves and taking inventory to providing customer service. Plus, the pay is above minimum wage, and the company provides generous discounts and other benefits.
So, if you’re looking for a job and you’re 16 or older, why not give Target a try?
Good luck with your new job at Target!