Imagine you are heading out the door to go shopping when you turn around and see your best friend’s sad little puppy dog eyes… filled with hope that maybe, just maybe, today is the day they get to go too.
It’s a tough decision! You don’t want to have to say no and leave them at home. But where do you draw the line? Or, more importantly, are they allowed in the store with you?
So, if you were wondering, Does TJ Maxx Allow Dogs? Then it’s time to find out…
- What Is TJ Maxx?
- Does TJ Maxx Allow Dogs?
- What Is A Service Dog?
- More On Your Pet-Friendly Shopping!
- Does TJ Maxx Allow Dogs? – Final Thoughts
What Is TJ Maxx?
TJ Maxx is a national retail chain that offers designer and brand name clothing, shoes, handbags, home decor, and more at discounted prices. They operate over 1,000 stores across the United States.
It was created in 1976 by Bernard Cammarata, who originally ran it as a subsidiary of Zayre Corp. The company was later purchased by TJX Companies. The first store was opened in Framingham, Massachusetts, and since then, it has had a long and interesting history.
Zayre had failed to purchase Marshalls earlier and instead purchased a similar store called Hills. Cammarata was then brought on board to help run the new store.
Read more: Does Lowes Allow Dogs?
The franchise goes international…
Cammarata noticed that the markup on clothes was much higher than necessary, and he began to buy clothing from manufacturers who had overproduced or gone out of business and sell them at a fraction of the cost.
This business model was successful and allowed TJ Maxx to grow rapidly. In 1988, they launched a second store chain called Winners, which was aimed at a slightly higher-end market. By the 90s, TJ Maxx began to expand internationally, first to Canada and then to the United Kingdom, Germany, and Poland. Today, it is a well-known retail chain with stores all over the world.
Does TJ Maxx Allow Dogs?
Dogs are welcome in all stores! Hurray! There are a few exceptions; however, if your state or local law prohibits their entry, then, unfortunately, they cannot accompany you, but other than that, well-behaved dogs are welcome! Also, service dogs are always welcome.
Some tips for bringing your dog into the store:
- Pick up after your pet if they have an accident.
- Be aware of your surroundings and other shoppers.
- Keep your dog on a leash at all times.
- Be respectful of employees and other customers.
- Do not let your dog be disruptive or destroy property.
What Is A Service Dog?
A Service Dog has been individually trained to perform tasks or do work for a person with a disability. They are working animals, not pets. The task or work a Service Dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability.
Service dogs perform a number of important tasks such as:
- Helping a blind person navigate.
- Alerting and/or protecting a person who is having a seizure.
- Pulling a wheelchair.
- Calming a person with PTSD during an anxiety attack.
- And many more!
Service Dogs are working animals, so they are allowed in public places that pets are not. This includes TJ Maxx stores!
Dogs that qualify as service animals include:
- Guide dogs: also called “seeing eye dogs,” these animals are trained to lead blind or visually impaired people.
- Hearing dogs: these are trained to alert deaf or hard-of-hearing people to specific sounds, such as a knock on the door.
- Service dogs: as mentioned before, these pups are trained to perform specific tasks for people with disabilities, such as fetching items or providing balance assistance.
- Seizure alert dogs: these furry friends are trained to sense when their person is about to have a seizure and provide them with a warning before it happens.
- Therapy dogs: these cuties provide emotional support and comfort to people in hospitals, nursing homes, schools, and disaster relief areas.
Please note: Pets are not service animals.
What to Do if Your Store Does Not Allow Dogs
There can be some incidences where the store manager says no dogs are allowed, even though the store policy says otherwise. In this case, it is best to try and speak with the store manager or customer service to see if they can resolve the issue. If not, you can always call the TJ Maxx corporate office and speak with someone there.
Alternatively, you can use the store finder on the TJ Maxx website to find stores in your area and give them a call ahead of time to make sure that they are pet friendly.
What Other Stores Allow Dogs?
Many stores are now starting to allow dogs! Here is a list of a few others:
- Home Depot
- Bass Pro Shops
- Bed, Bath & Beyond
- Nordstrom Rack
- Saks Fifth Avenue
Read more: Does Kohl’s Allow Dogs?
More On Your Pet-Friendly Shopping!
Next, if you’re looking to work with animals, our Pet Sitter Job Description should give you more insight, or if you’re looking for a summer job, you’ll find How To Become A Teen Pet Sitter or How To Become A Teenage Dog Walker to be right up your alley!
Lastly, if you’re interested in working for the fashion retailer, take a look at our in-depth guide to the TJ Maxx Application and the most common TJ Maxx Interview Questions, along with How Old Do You Have To Be To Work At TJ Maxx in case you’re still in school.
Does TJ Maxx Allow Dogs? – Final Thoughts
Dogs have been man’s best friend for centuries, and it’s no secret that they make great shopping partners, too! Not only do they provide companionship and love, but they can also help carry your heavy shopping bags (this one is a joke!).
TJ Maxx is a pet-friendly store, so bring your furry friend along on your next shopping trip! Just be sure to follow the store policy and pick up after them if they have an accident. You might even find a nice gift for them in-store!
Enjoy your pet-friendly shopping at TJ Maxx!