If you are looking forward to becoming an EKG technician, then you are at the right place. You can read about the key requirements, responsibilities and duties, the skill-set required to become an EKG technician, which are all mentioned in this job description.
The job role of an electrocardiograph (EKG) technician is not very common, and many people have not even heard about it. However, EKG technicians are known to be the medical practitioners who end up administrating the tests. This test helps determine the cardiovascular health of an individual.
The primary duties of the EKG technicians include performing diagnostic tests on multiple patients, monitoring their blood pressure constantly, and collecting the medical data which can be used by doctors.
Job Description – EKG Technician
Hospitals or institutes look forward to EKG technicians who have a very empathetic nature. The individuals should have a knack for details and should lay proper focus on the patient. They need to be 100% present and be involved with the patient to monitor them regularly.
EKG technicians are also responsible for setting and maintaining the equipment, performing the cardiovascular tests, and identifying the heart condition. These individuals also have to ensure that the patients are comfortable throughout and informed about their health condition.
The EKG technicians should also be well-educated and well-versed in the functioning of the heart. They should be aware of the different complications, as accordingly, they will have to make the reports. Doctors directly use these reports to analyze the situation. Hence there is no room for errors.
Skills Required – EKG Technician
When it comes to the skills required, EKG technicians play a very important role in helping the patient get alright and feel better. These individuals should also attend to the patient and cater to their needs. These technicians should be very patient as they would have to spend long working hours. They also have to be very caring by nature, as the patients will be relying on them completely. Most importantly, these individuals should show flexibility in working hours, as an emergency can strike anytime. They should always put the patient’s need above anything else.
- As an EKG Technician, you should also perform a cardiovascular test on these patients.
- Required to keep the patients informed about every step of the procedure.
- The technician should also diagnose and identify the heart conditions.
- Monitoring of the patient’s blood pressure.
- The technician should also collect cardiovascular data used for the analysis by the doctors
- Work alongside the doctors and nurses as and when required.
- The technician should also set up the EKG components, which include EKG tracings to provide accurate readings.
- The technician should also ensure the proper safety and comfort of the patients.
- They should also maintain the safety standards of the hospitals.
- Monitoring of the EKG equipment and reporting in case of malfunctions.
- They should also instruct the patients to perform physical exercises regularly.
- Recording of the heart activity during the physical exercises.
- The technician should also monitor the special, 3-dimensional tracing of the electrical activity of the heart.
- Insertion of the catheter tube into the blood vessels, which helps in examining the heart.
- The technician should also use procedures to test the heart and lungs.
- Monitoring of the EKGs, which records heart activity over 12-24 hours.
- The technician should also know how to use ultrasound equipment.
- Connection of electrodes to the leads from EKG machine.
- The individual needs to have a high school diploma or GED
- They should also have proper EKG training and relevant certification.
- The individual should have proper physical stamina.
- They should also pay attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- The individual should be compassionate and be caring nature.
- Should have proficiency with EKG technology.
- Must be very flexible and accommodating.
Frequently Asked Questions
1 What are the skills required to become a senior financial analyst?
Ans. The candidate needs to be very caring and patient. They should also have empathy and be there for the patients whenever required. The candidate should also be willing to work flexible hours as and when required.
2 How many years of experience is required to apply for the role of an EKG Technicians?
Ans. There are no mandatory years of experience required for an individual to become an EKG technician. However, it is important to have practical and on-the-job training. The more the experience the individual, the higher the chances increase for getting selected for the job.
3 Mention the job role of an EKG Technician?
Ans. EKG technicians are the individuals who are responsible for maintaining and setting up the EKG equipment, performing the tests to identify the various heart conditions. These individuals have to be on their toes, as they have to take care of their patients whenever required. These individuals have to recognize the emergencies and assist the physicians whenever required.