Have you ever wondered how much does Food Lion pay its employees? You are not alone. A lot of people are curious about this topic. Is it enough for a family to survive on? So, I decided to take a look at the salaries that Food Lion pays as well as discuss some of the benefits that employees can enjoy.
So, if you are interested in working for Food Lion or just want to know more about what the company offers, keep reading!
- What Is Food Lion?
- Job Positions At Food Lion
- What Is The Average Salary?
- State-By-State Comparison Of wages
- What About Under 18s?
- What Employee Benefits Does Food Lion Offer?
- Pros And Cons Of Working At Food Lion
- How Do Wages Compare To Other Similar Companies?
- Working In A Supermarket Can Be Fun!
- Final Thoughts
What Is Food Lion?
Food Lion is a grocery store chain that operates in the southeastern United States. It is a subsidiary of the Belgian company Delhaize Group. Food Lion was founded in 1957 and has since grown to over 1,000 locations. The company employs over 63,000 people. Nowadays, it is worth an estimated $11.5 billion.
Read more: How Much Does Walmart Pay Stockers?
Job Positions At Food Lion
There are a variety of job positions available at Food Lion stores.
- Cashier: Within this role, you will be responsible for operating the register, helping customers with their purchases, and bagging merchandise.
- Stocker: Stockers are responsible for stocking shelves and keeping the store clean. They will also have to keep track of inventory and set up displays.
- Manager: This role is responsible for the overall operation of the store, including hiring and training of new staff members. They are also in charge of maintaining and increasing profits and all the paperwork that goes on behind the scenes when running a store.
- Assistant Manager: This position works under the store manager and helps with the day-to-day operations of the store. Many of their tasks will be delegated by the store manager, but they most often have a dedicated role in the day-to-day running of the team. This frees the manager up to do other urgent tasks.
What Qualifications Do You Need to Work There?
You do not need any specific qualifications to work at Food Lion. However, it is always helpful to have a high school diploma or equivalent. If you are seeking a management position, then you will need to have some experience in the food industry or in a leadership-type role.
What is the Career Progression Like?
The career progression at the store is fairly good. If you start in an entry-level position, you can eventually move up to a management position. There are also opportunities to advance within the company if you have the right skills and experience. So as long as you work hard and impress, you are sure to be rewarded for your efforts!
What Is The Average Salary?
The average salary for a Food Lion employee is $12 per hour. This is slightly lower than the national average of $14 per hour for retail staff. However, it is important to remember that salaries can vary depending on your position, location, and experience.
Cashiers make the lowest salary at the store, with an average hourly wage of $9, which is not much higher than the federal minimum wage of $7.25. Stockers and managers make a bit more, with average hourly wages of $11 and $15, respectively.
State-By-State Comparison Of wages
Some states have much higher living costs than others, so it is important to take this into account when looking at salaries.
- California: The average hourly wage for a Food Lion employee in California is $16. This is significantly higher than the national average, but the minimum wage in the state is $15 an hour.
- Texas: Alternatively, the average wage in the buckeye state is $12.83.
- New York: The Empire State employees of Food Lion make an average of $14.51 an hour.
- Atlanta, GA: The average hourly wage for a Food Lion employee in Atlanta is $11.93.
What About Under 18s?
Food Lion does hire employees under the age of 18. However, there are some restrictions on the types of positions that they can hold. For example, under 18s cannot be cashiers or stockers. They can, however, be baggers. The hourly wage for those under 18s is the same as it is for adults.
How Much Do Part-Time Workers Make?
The grocery store does offer part-time positions. However, the hours and wages for these positions vary depending on the store location. Typically, part-time employees work 20-30 hours per week. The hourly wage for part-time employees is the same as it is for full-time employees, but their take-home wage will naturally be less.
What Employee Benefits Does Food Lion Offer?
The company offers a variety of employee benefits, including the usual health insurance, dental insurance, and a 401k plan. One of the best perks, however, is that they also offer discounts on groceries. Full-time employees can receive up to 10% off their groceries, while part-time employees receive a 5% discount.
What Do Employees Think of Their Wages?
Some employees feel that the wages are fair and competitive. Others, however, feel that the company could do more to invest in its workforce. Overall, most staff members feel that the company is a good place to work and that the benefits are great. But the wages are too close to the minimum wage for the rest.
Pros And Cons Of Working At Food Lion
- The shifts and hours are very flexible; this is great if you are a student, have to work around childcare, or have other commitments.
- The company offers a number of employee benefits, including health insurance, dental insurance, and a 401k plan. This can help relieve some of the pressure from medical scares.
- The company also offers discounts on groceries which is especially useful for families. Food is an essential purchase, and it is nice to be rewarded with a discount.
- The salary is too close to the minimum wage for some employees. This means it is unlikely that this wage would be able to support a single-parent family.
- The work can be physically demanding and sometimes requires working long hours.
- Shifts can be boring and repetitive.
How Do Wages Compare To Other Similar Companies?
The grocery store’s wages are quite a bit less than some of its big competitors. For example, the average hourly wage for a Kroger employee is $15. And the average hourly wage for a Walmart employee is $17.
However, it is important to remember that salaries can vary depending on a number of factors. So, while Food Lion may not pay as much for entry-level positions as some of its competitors, it is still a competitive place to work and may offer other benefits that should be considered, such as locality.
Working In A Supermarket Can Be Fun!
Are you looking for your first job? A supermarket is a great place to start and gain experience, so check out our in-depth guides to the Food Lion Application, the Shaws Application, and the Tops Application, or how about the Pick n Save Grocery Application, the Giant Food Stores Application, and the Lucky Supermarkets Application.
Additionally, why not also check out the Whole Foods Application, the Giant Eagle Application, the United Supermarkets Application, along with the Smiths Food And Drug Application, the Price Chopper Application, and the City Market Application for 2023.
Lastly, take a look at the HR Block Application, the H E B Application, as well as the Publix Application, and the most common Publix Interview Questions to help prepare for the all-important day, and check out the Publix Warehouse Jobs For Felons if you have a criminal record.
Overall, you will not become a millionaire working for the grocery store. But you will be paid a fair wage for your work. The company also offers a variety of employee benefits, which makes it a great place to work. So, start working on your application now!
All the very best working at Food Lion!