Many people get a drug urine test for various reasons, including a job.
In some scenarios, you may have to store the urine before the test. Storage of the urine is vital to get accurate results.
Whether you have to submit it at a later date or need the test done when you are out of the country, it is essential to understand how to store your urine properly.
Steps For Storage Of Urine
Collect your urine sample as close to the test date as possible. Urine starts to decompose and oxidize once it exits your body. This makes it darker and smellier. It also makes it less plausible for a drug test. The best urine for a drug test is fresh and still warm.
The storage container for the urine should be airtight. You can choose to purchase a re-sealable glass or plastic containers for this purpose. Plastic containers are ideal for short-term storage.
When storing urine for longer, use glass containers. Plastic containers tend to leak chemicals into the urine and this may contaminate your drug test.
1 Use a re-sealable plastic bag and place the container inside it for better protection
2 Label the urine sample with the date
3 When freezing urine samples, you should remember that glass tends to crack at low or high temperatures. This is why you should insulate it for better protection.
Keep Urine Warm
If you plan on taking your sample to the lab within the same hour it is collected then keeping it warm is a smart idea. Use the following precautions:
- Use hand warmers to insulate the bottle.
- Make sure the urine stays warm till you reach the lab.
- Before handing over the sample for the test, you can remove the warmer.
- If you are worried about the warmer slipping off while traveling then you can secure it with a rubber band.
If you plan on sending the urine for testing later than an hour after the sample was taken, remember to refrigerate it as soon as possible. The best way is to put the urine in the refrigerator as soon as you collect the sample.
This method also works if you place the urine in the refrigerator within 30 minutes. Refrigerated urine should be used within a day.
If you do not intend on getting your urine sample checked within the first 24 hours then you should freeze it for best results. These are the steps you should take:
- Use an airtight glass container and insulate it before freezing.
- When freezing your urine make sure it is clean. If the urine contains THC, the concentration increases.
- The urine should be good for up to a year when frozen correctly. While fresh urine is always better, in some scenarios one may have to make do with frozen urine.
Heating Cold Urine Sample
If you have frozen your urine and you want to submit it to the lab the next day, these are the steps you should take:
1 The best way is to bring it to room temperature or leave it out overnight.
2 Do not place the urine in a microwave or it could destroy the sample.
3 As soon as the urine comes to room temperature submit it to the lab.
4 Do not wait more than one night to submit the sample to the lab.
Use A Heating Pad
Once the urine has defrosted, you can warm it with a heating pad. At this stage you can also place it in the microwave for approximately 10 seconds but using a hand warmer or a heating pad is safer.
This method takes longer but there are few chances of destroying the sample. The urine sample should be slightly warmer than body temperature when you take it to the lab for testing.
Keep The Sample Close To Your Body
If you keep the urine sample as close to your body as possible, it will maintain its temperature for longer. In case you are wondering how to keep the sample warm, just place it between your thighs.
- It is illegal to provide a falsified urine sample
- Always try and give a fresh sample
- Submit a frozen sample only under extreme circumstances. Inform the lab about the same when doing so.
- If the lab believes your sample is false, they will ask you for a new sample under supervision.
Good To Know Information
A drug test is usually conducted by your employer to check for illegal substances. Let’s now take a look at what happens when you fail your drug test:
1 Know Your Rights
While drug urine tests are conducted by most organizations, they don’t need your permission to do this. If you test positive they have the right to reject your application however you need to give them consent to undergo this test.
2 How Long Do Drugs Stay In Your System?
A urine drug test is the fastest way to determine drug use however most drugs exit your system within a few days. Alcohol can stay for about 24 hours while drugs like cocaine, heroin, and opiates can stay in your system for up to 7 days. Marijuana can stay in your system for up to 30 days.
The good news is that marijuana is legal in several states however your employer may choose to fire you for its usage. This is as per their discretion.
Possible Outcomes Of Failing A Drug Test
- If you test positive you will be fired since most organizations have a strict policy against drug usage
- When you test positive during a pre-screening then you may not be offered the position you applied for
- If you are an asset to the organization and they want to support you then you will be given a final warning. You should know that they will keep a close tab on you and will fire you the next time this happens.
While it is best to stay away from drugs if you know your test is going to be negative make sure you inform your employer about it.
You can assure them that you plan on cleaning up your act and this will be your final instance. Offer to undergo a drug test every month to gain the trust of the employer.