The Legal Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing proper support and information to the paralegals and lawyers. You will be working in the legal environment and for that, you need to have the knowledge to help paralegals and other executives. You need to have excellent organizational skills as you will be managing the schedules for various legal disciples. As a part of this job, you have to ensure efficient and effective procedures are rolled out of the office.
Job Description – Legal Administrative Assistant
As a Legal Administrative Assistant, you have to take care of the administrative processes and research properly for the clients. You will also be conducting research on legal documents, drafting them, and ensuring the effectiveness of these documents. A legal administrative assistant also has to work in a fast-paced environment and you should have experience of working under pressure. You will also be performing various tasks during the job and you have to manage them properly to ensure their completion before the deadline.
To become a successful Legal Administrative Assistant, you should also have excellent verbal and written skills. You have to be detail-oriented and you also need to have excellent judgment according to the law. You should have good knowledge of the usage and application of the law for paralegals and lawyers.
A legal administrative assistant will also have to provide support to the paralegals and lawyers, and for that, you need to have a keen interest and knowledge of the administrative processes. You will be working under pressure during work hours and you have to acquire knowledge of key legal principles, incredible accuracy in reports, and IT skills to work efficiently.
Skills Required – Legal Administrative Assistant
You will have to be good at organizing tasks daily for the staff and at ensuring you work efficiently. As a Legal Administrative Assistant, you will be required to have excellent knowledge of the law and the legislature to help and support the paralegals and lawyers in your office. You will be performing duties that include various tasks, and you need to have excellent accuracy and work on an effective schedule.
Job Responsibilities – Legal Administrative Assistant
- You have to be good at research and analysis of accurate legal research.
- You will need the ability to interpret the law in legal documents as per the regulations.
- A legal administrative assistant will also be compiling and drafting all the legal documents with proper proofreading and editing.
- You have to maintain a record of the filing of documents both electronically and hard copy.
- You will have to maintain the proper information with other organizational agencies.
- A legal administrative assistant also needs to create and organize information to make it readable and also generate relatable tools to ease office work.
- You will be preparing the format for the legal document using different tools.
- You have to organize the legal and management reports and provide them to the higher authorities.
- A legal administrative assistant will also be the person to contact to answer all the queries related to the legal documents from paralegals and lawyers.
- You have to make sure that administrative information and assistance is efficient and effective.
Job Requirements – Legal Administrative Assistant
- You need to have an approved Paralegal certificate to be eligible for this job role.
- You should hold a bachelor’s in law or any related field.
- A legal administrative assistant also needs to have at least 1 year of experience working in the legal environment to know the procedures.
- You need to have good analytical thinking skills with the ability to research properly about cases and documents.
- You should also have the ability to read legal documents.
- A legal administrative assistant also needs to have the knowledge to interpret the databases and tracking systems.
- You need to have amazing organizational skills.
- You should have excellent communication skills.
- A legal administrative assistant should also be proficient in MS Office, Lexis-Nexis, USAO, and other software needed in the legal department.
Frequently Asked Questions
1 Where to find a job for the position of Legal Administrative Assistant?
Ans. To find a job for the position of Legal Administrative Assistant, you can run a quick Google search and there are many websites that can help you contact an employer. You can even filter out the jobs as per your desired location, which is really helpful.
2 How to pursue my career as a Legal Administrative Assistant?
Ans. To pursue your career as a Legal Administrative Assistant, you have to sign up for a course that deals with the law. You have to learn everything about it and then practice it. You can find many internship programs during your college years, and that will help you with good experience.
3 What’s the main role of a Legal Administrative Assistant?
Ans. The main role of a Legal Administrative Assistant is to help paralegals and lawyers. You will have to perform as a supervisor for all the administrative processes happening in the company.