The job of an OTR driver requires the candidate to travel across distances carrying the load in a truck. They are also responsible for delivering the material without damage and before the arrival time given to the clients. They also have to be good at making reports and taking notes on the number of deliveries and payments received on duty.
The drivers also have to create reports on the distance traveled, mileage, and the number of hours they drove the truck. OTR drivers are also required to load and unload the truck from the warehouse to the delivery station.
Job Description – OTR Driver
Working as an OTR driver requires the candidate to be focused and well-versed in driving. They have to be hard-working and experienced at taking responsibility for the tasks given to them. OTR drivers should also have good knowledge of the routers around the place to deliver the goods to the right station. They should know about the proper paperwork that includes getting the signature of the receiver on the day of the delivery.
OTR drivers also have to make sure they maintain the goods properly without any damage. And if there’s any damage, the OTR driver has to provide the same information to the authorities about the damage. They are also required to place the right placards on the goods whenever they are carrying hazardous materials or oversized cargo of various things.
A successful OTR Driver knows all the different routes of the places around them. They have proper knowledge of road safety regulations and maintain proper concentration while driving on the road. To manage everything and ensuring the delivery time, the OTR Driver has to be excellent with time management and organizational skills. This will help the drivers to adhere to all the company policies and procedures and hence, work as a perfect OTR Driver.
Skills Required – OTR Driver
An OTR driver requires a proper skill set that includes driving skills and learning the roads. Also, the OTR driver has to maintain their time schedule between sleeping and driving on the road to ensure proper delivery on time. They should be strong and focused enough towards work to provide good service.
OTR drivers should also have knowledge of the road and driving laws to keep a proper check on the goods. They also have to be good at paperwork, as it is important to collect the signatures on the papers when delivering the products to the provided address.
Job Responsibilities – OTR Driver
- They have to transport the goods from one place to another as per the directions of the clients or company.
- OTR drivers have to be good with knowledge of the different parts of the truck to maintain and check for lag before and after every delivery.
- They have to inspect the truck before leaving for the delivery to ensure timely deliveries to the place
- They have to be careful when planning routes to maintain a proper time schedule and ensure they deliver the goods on time before the deadline.
- OTR drivers have to maintain the truck by getting it cleaned often and changing the oil on time. They have to look for water, oil, fuel, and tire pressure.
- OTR drivers have to look for any problems in the truck and inform the company about the same to get it fixed as soon as possible to maintain the delivery time.
- They have to maintain a logbook for the delivery time, hours traveled, fuel charge, and sleeping time. This helps them provide the details to the company about the work.
- OTR drivers have to provide information to the company about traffic violations, road accidents, and vehicle breakdowns to management.
- They have to tell the dispatcher and the receiver about the day the truck leaves for the delivery.
- They have to assist with loading and unloading of the truck in the warehouse and the delivery station to help the receiver and dispatcher.
Job Requirements – OTR Driver
- They need to have a high school diploma or a GED.
- They should obtain a Class A Commercial Driver’s License.
- OTR drivers should have a clean driving record.
- They need to have proven experience as an OTR driver.
- They should have sound knowledge of road safety regulations.
- OTR drivers need to have strong organizational skills.
- They should have the ability to read maps and GPS devices.
- OTR drivers need strong problem-solving skills.
- They should have excellent communication skills.
Frequently Asked Questions
1 How to become an OTR Driver?
Ans. To become an OTR driver, candidates need to obtain a class A commercial driver’s license. They need to learn about the routes and gain knowledge of the road and safety regulations followed in the state. Once the candidate has sound information about it, they can start looking for the job role of an OTR Driver.