USPS is abbreviated as United States Postal Services. It also offers a wide range of jobs and occupations, from sorting and distributing mail to management roles. In 2016, Postal Services was the third largest commercial employer in the United States, with around 502,400 employees. It also has one of the world’s most oversized civilian commercial vehicles.
Age to quality working at the United States Postal Services: You should be a minimum of 18 years old to start your career with USPS.
United States Postal Services Hours of Work: The work timing is from Mon-Fri: 8:00 am-8:30 pm, and Sat: 8:00 am-6:00 pm, whereas Sunday is a fixed off.
Available Work Profiles at United States Postal Services:
The posts available are Carrier, driver, customer services representative, postmaster, mail handler assistant, student supervisor, and retail clerk.
Work Openings in the United States Postal Services
Students who have earned a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate from an elite school within the last two years are qualified for entry-level positions. The USPS development courses aim to provide new graduates with work experience and also the opportunity to learn necessary practical qualifications. The United States Postal Services has a comprehensive recruiting process. Job applicants must be US nationals, legal residents, citizens of American Samoa, or residents of another US region. To be hired, candidates must also have an entire job history and clear background checks along with drug tests and medical examinations.
Employment and Remuneration Information for the United States Postal Service
The United States Postal Services offers a variety of work and career prospects. To get selected for jobs, candidates should apply online and go through a thorough assessment and evaluation process. There are a variety of part-time and full-time positions open. In the recruiting process, veterans are given priority. Now along with the profile, the remuneration of the employee will also vary. Here is a check to it.
- Carriers in cities and towns can earn up to $20.00 per hour.
- Mail is delivered on foot or by wagon in a designated area under distinct track conditions.
- Inspection of cars, loading mail, and other basic manual labor are among the additional duties.
- Carriers for the United States Postal Services should be in extraordinary physical fitness.
- Mail executives are responsible for loading, unloading, and striding bulk mail, as well as other mail handling tasks.
- Earnings vary from $15.00 to $17.00 per hour.
- Mail handlers for the USPS can use modest machinery and conduct reliable manual labor.
Clerks or Cashier
- Cashiers, also known as PSE sales, support, and delivery deputies, regulate at the front desk.
- Communicating with customers when supplying stamps and other postal items is one of the responsibilities.
- Starting pay for USPS retail clerks is about $15.00 per hour.
Perks of working for USPS
Working for the United States Postal Services has Its Advantages. There are a lot of facilities available for the ones who work with USPS. Employees of the United States Postal Services have permits to an assortment of services, including welfare privileges and medical insurance, and dental and vision coverage. Employees who are qualified will also receive compensated days off and holidays. Retirement accounts and Frugality Funds are also available to laborers.
Added USPS Information includes the knowledge about vehicles and also equipment acquired by the US government. The USPS has over 200,000 wagons, making it one of the world’s largest civil fleets. Next-generation vehicles with improved ergonomics, protection, fuel efficiency, and emissions are replacing some of this fleet.
Application Tips for Applicants
There are also a few essential tips to follow while applying for jobs in USPS. On their official website, the USPS provides many tools to assist applicants in completing their application forms. When beginning the recruiting process, it is a good idea to build an applicant profile. Be sure to read the work application thoroughly and complete all tasks relevant to the positions you are applying for.
Progress of the Application
For communications, candidates should keep a close eye on their email accounts. Since there are so many positions and qualifications for each one, the review process varies. The management contacts applicants for additional details or to arrange an evaluation test. These assessments conducted are helpful to filter out the best-suited candidates suitable as jobholders.
Methods of Application
The application can be made both offline and online. For online application, the steps are as following:
- Open the USPS Website and create an account.
- Start your research on the available postal job openings.
- Complete the online job application as per the given guidelines.
- Take the required assessment and pass it successfully.
- After the assessment, you may also be called to participate in a pre-employment interview.
Though the offline application is a hefty process, get hold of a SPOC or Single point of contact who will take your application ahead directly to the USPS office if you wish to do it. For that, follow the below-given directions.
- Download the application form from their official website.
- Fill up all required KYC information as well as your educational documents.
- If you have any prior work experience, then you should add it to your application form.
- Do not forget to put your digital signature as it is essential to get your application approved.
- Submit your application to your SPOC, and then wait until you receive any call from the authority.
Job Roles available:
Here are the Job Roles Available in USPS:
- Auto Mechanic
- Finance/Accounting/Supply Management
- Human Resources
- Mail Handler
- Motor Vehicle/ Tractor-Trailer Operator
- Rural Carrier
- Technical/Information Technology.
How long do you have to wait to get a response?
If you are selected, you will generally receive mail within a span between two weeks to months. In some cases, the response is indeed rapid, but on the other hand, few candidates have to wait for more than even three months. This also depends on the post you are applying for and the urgency of the opening in the organization.
The test conducted for USPS job selection is a modified assessment to check your English standard. The duration of it is almost ninety minutes. It is not so difficult but enough to figure out your eligibility for the job role. You can also seek online guidance to crack better results.