You have just bought the hottest new video game and cannot wait to start playing.
But when you get home and try it out, you quickly realize that it is not as much fun as you thought it would be. Maybe it was not the game you expected, it was harder than expected, or the whole game was in the wrong camera perspective. Now what? Do you have to return it and lose all your money?
Turns out, Walmart’s Video Game Return Policy is pretty strict, so strict it just might ruin your day. So, let’s find out more…
- What Is The Walmart Video Game Return Policy?
- Does This Policy Apply To Game Consoles?
- Walmart Video Game Return Policy – Purchasing Tips
- Become A Video Game Tester!
- Walmart Video Game Return Policy – Final Thoughts?
What Is The Walmart Video Game Return Policy?
The Walmart return policy states that you can return most unopened video games within 90 days of purchase. However, if you open the packaging, you can only exchange it for the same title, e.g., your exchange has to be because of a defect. Additionally, you will need to present a valid photo ID and the credit card you used to make the purchase.
Read more: Walmart Transfer Policy
Why Does Walmart not Refund Opened Games?
The reason the superstore does not refund opened discs is that they can no longer be sold as new. When you open a game, the packaging is no longer sealed, and it can no longer be sold as new. Thus, they will only exchange it for the same game if there is a problem with the one purchased.
Additionally, this prevents people from buying the discs, playing them for a few days, and then returning them for a full refund. A nice idea but not so great for Walmart’s profits!
What If the Game Is Defective?
If the game you purchased is defective, the store will exchange it for the same title as long as you have your receipt and the game is within 90 days of purchase. If you do not have your receipt or the game is outside of the 90-day window; unfortunately, you will not be eligible for a refund or exchange.
Defective games include games that are scratched, missing discs, or have damaged packaging. If you are unsure if your game is defective, you can always take it to the store and speak with a manager. They will be able to help you determine if the game is indeed not functioning properly.
What If I Do not Have My Receipt?
If you do not have your receipt, the store will still exchange the game, but you will need to bring a copy of your ID.
What If I Bought the Game Online?
If you purchased a physical copy of the game on the store’s website, do not panic! You are still eligible for a full refund as long as you have not opened it. If you have torn open the packaging, then you will only be able to exchange it for the same title as mentioned before.
The process is a little different if you purchased a digital copy of the game on their website. For these types of purchases, Walmart does not offer refunds, but they may offer exchanges under certain circumstances. You will need to contact customer service to inquire about this.
Just follow the online instructions…
To return the game to the website, start by logging into your account. From there, select the order in question and click on the “return” button. Follow the instructions on the screen, and you should be all set! You will then have to repackage the item and send it back to the store.
Alternatively, you can take it to a physical store, and they can process the returns for you.
What About Restocking Fees?
Unlike some other stores, Walmart does not charge a restocking fee for returns or exchanges! Go Walmart!
Does This Policy Apply To Game Consoles?
Unfortunately, the policy does not apply to game consoles. Consoles can only be returned if they are unopened and within the first 30 days of purchase. Additionally, you will need to have your original receipt and the credit card you used to make the purchase.
If your unit is defective, you can return it opened. However, sometimes it is easier to go through the manufacturer if you are out of the policy timing. Sony has a one-year warranty on all their PS5 consoles, Nintendo has a one-year warranty on the Switch, and Xbox also offers a one-year warranty.
Walmart Video Game Return Policy – Purchasing Tips
The easiest way to get around Walmart’s strict rules is to purchase games you love in the first place! Here are some straightforward ways to make sure you get exactly what you want.
- Watch the Game Trailer before you purchase: This way, you can get a feel for the gameplay and graphics.
- Read the Description: This will give you an idea of what the story is about and if it is something you are interested in.
- Check the Reviews: Hearing from other gamers can be helpful to see if the game is worth your time and money.
- Watch YouTube Demos: Even newly released games already have gameplay footage released on YouTube. This can be helpful to see if you will like the story or graphics, although be careful you do not stumble across any spoilers.
- Play previous versions: Usually, the latest release of a game series is the most expensive. If you are on a budget, try playing an older version of the game to see if you like it. You can usually find these cheaper versions at used game stores, or maybe you can organize a swap with your friends!
- Find Demos: Sometimes, games will release a demo version before the full game is released. If you are undecided about a certain game, try downloading the demo first. This way, you can get a feel for the gameplay without spending any money.
- Wait for Sales: If you are patient, game prices will eventually drop. By waiting for a sale, you can usually snag a great deal on the latest games. Additionally, many retailers offer trade-in deals where you can get money off your purchase by trading in an older game.
- Rent before you buy: If you are unsure about a game, try renting it from a service like Gamefly. This way, you can try out the game and decide if it is something you want to purchase.
By following these tips, you can be sure to save yourself some money and hassle in the long run. And who knows, maybe you will find your new favorite game!
Become A Video Game Tester!
Launching your career in gaming and testing? Then, check out these handbooks such as the Game Development Essentials: Game QA & Testing, as well as The Subtle Art of Game Testing, how to Start Your Video Game Career: Proven Advice, how to Land a Job as a Video Game Tester, and Game Testing: All in One, all available online 2023.
They say that “The gear makes the gamer,” so we highly recommend the Oculus Quest 2 — Advanced All-In-One Virtual Reality Headset, as well as the Oculus Rift S PC-Powered VR Gaming Headset, to get you started!
But that’s not all! Check out the BENGOO G9000 Stereo Gaming Headset for PS4 PC Xbox One PS5 Controller, the GameSir T4 pro Wireless Game Controller for Windows 7 8 10 PC/iOS/Android/Switch, and finally, the Gaming Headset for Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PS4, PS5, Bass Surround and Noise Cancelling, also available online today.
Walmart Video Game Return Policy – Final Thoughts?
The Video Game Return Policy at Walmart is pretty strict. However, if you are within the 90-day window and have your original receipt, you should be able to return or exchange your game with no problems.
Just be aware that you will not be eligible for a refund if it is defective and outside of the policy timeframe. If you are unsure about a game, try renting it or wait for a sale. And finally, remember to read the reviews, watch the gameplay footage, and check the description before making your purchase!
So, come on, and let’s get Gaming!