The United States Postal Service (USPS) is the most popular delivery service in the US. And if you’re a regular user of postal services, you’ll understand that waiting for an urgent delivery to arrive is important.
So, what happens if you receive a notification that your parcel has been delivered, but to an agent? In this guide, I’ll be explaining exactly what that means and answering frequently asked questions about using the USPS.
Let’s get straight to my in-depth look at What Does Delivered to an Agent Mean (USPS)?
- What Does Delivered To Agent Mean?
- Why Use an Agent?
- What Are The Disadvantages Of Using An Agent?
- What Does Delivered To An Agent Mean (USPS)? – FAQs About USPS
- Ever Thought Of Working For USPS?
- What Does Delivered to an Agent Mean (USPS)? – Final Thoughts
What Does Delivered To Agent Mean?
‘Delivered to an agent USPS’ means your delivery was attempted, but you could not sign for it. In this case, an agent is an authorized person that is trusted to handle your package. An agent may include a family member, neighbor, friend, or work colleague. Once your package is delivered to an agent, then the tracking status will change to ‘delivered.’
Read more: How To Become a Travel Agent?
Why Use an Agent?
Using an agent to handle your delivery has many benefits. Here are some of them…
- It’s convenient. You may not be available to receive the package because you were unavailable. So, in this instance, it’s better to arrange an agent to handle it for you.
- It is more time-efficient. You can organize to have the package delivered to an agent that lives nearby. This can be a neighbor or friend. This saves the extra effort of traveling to the local delivery office to pick up your parcel if the delivery was unsuccessful.
- It can be simple to organize. Some delivery services offer a tracking tool that messages you once the delivery is expected to arrive. This means you can plan and organize an agent to handle your package in advance.
- It’s helpful if you need your package to be delivered urgently. So, if you’re unavailable and your delivery arrives earlier than expected, then you can ask your agent to sign for it.
What Are The Disadvantages Of Using An Agent?
There may be some security or privacy concerns when assigning an agent. For example, sometimes the wrong person may handle the delivery. Or, you may not be aware that your parcel has been received by someone unauthorized.
The biggest concern with using agents is that their IDs are rarely verified, and delivery workers simply assume that agents are reliable and trustworthy. So, always make sure you clarify this in the delivery instructions. If there are any problems with your delivery, then you can simply contact the USPS or your local post office and report the issue.
What Does Delivered To An Agent Mean (USPS)? – FAQs About USPS
Do you have some more questions about using the USPS service? If so, I’ll do my very best to answer them…
How Do I Authorize an Agent?
If you are not available to receive a delivery, then you can authorize someone else to handle your package. To authorize an agent, you simply add these details to the delivery instructions when the courier has been organized.
Why Does My Delivery Have to Be Signed For?
All deliveries have to be signed for insurance purposes and to avoid the risk of fraud or theft. All packages must be given to an authorized agent or the original recipient to sign. A package should not be left outside the property because it’s not guaranteed that the package will be received. Therefore, packages have to always be signed and handed over to someone.
How Long Does The Average Delivery Take?
The average time of delivery differs. This depends on the method and service that you paid for. There are several types of methods, including Priority Mail, First Class, USPS Retail Ground, and Media Mail. The delivery times range from under 24 hours for Priority Mail up to eight days for Media Mail.
To check the different types of delivery services, you can visit the USPS mail and shipping website for more information.
What Happens If My Package Status is ‘Delivered’ But I Do Not Have It?
In this case, there are several things that you can do to resolve the issue. Here’s how:
- Contact your local post office to check if they have received your package. You can also contact your authorized agent, such as a friend or family member, to see if they received it on your behalf.
- Contact the USPS directly by filing a claim to get the issue resolved if you organized a delivery with them.
- Or contact the head office on 1-800-222-1811 to enquire where your package is.
- Check the tracking status of your delivery online using the tracking number provided.
Can I Check My Order?
Yes, you can track your package anytime using the USPS Tracking website. Just use the tracking number that was provided when you paid for your item. You can also check your order confirmation. If you sent your package via the Post Office, check your paper receipt for the tracking number. If you ordered your item online, then check the email receipt confirmation.
Where Do I Find My Tracking Number?
If you’re unable to find your tracking number, you can check several places. Try searching your online email receipt or your sales paper receipt that you received in person.
You can also try the confirmation shipping email from the company you purchased from online. Alternatively, you can try checking the USPS tracking label. The USPS tracking number is around 22 digits long in groups of four numbers and does not contain any letters or symbols.
How Can I Track My Package?
There are several ways to track your package. You can contact the USPS directly using the phone numbers below or visit a USPS branch in-person to inquire about the status of your order. Here’s some information to note:
- Track your delivery using the USPS website and enter your tracking number to get a live update on where your package is.
- Call the USPS team on the phone using 1-800-222-1811 to enquire about your package.
- Download the USPS app to your mobile device using the Apple or Android play store. On this application, you can add your package details to find out where your package is.
- Send a text message to ‘28777’, which will send you information about your package directly to your phone.
- You can also try visiting a local USPS office in person and ask to speak with a representative that can resolve your issue.
Ever Thought Of Working For USPS?
Well, if that’s the case, take a look at my USPS Application and my USPS Mail Processing Clerk Job Description, or maybe you’d want to apply to my UPS Application Online Jobs Career Info or check out my UPS Mission And Vision Statement Analysis, to see what they’re all about.
Of course, you might need to know Does UPS Drug Test Package Handlers, or perhaps Does UPS Do Background Checks, as well as Does USPS Hire Felons if you do have a criminal record before moving forward.
Lastly, you’ll have to pass your postal exams first! We recommend using the McGraw-Hill’s Postal Exams 473/473C, the Postal Exam Secrets Study Guide – Review and Practice Tests for USPS Virtual Entry Assessment 474, 475, 476, and 477, the Postal Exam Book – for Test 473 and 473-C, and how about Post Office Jobs: The Ultimate 473 Postal Exam Study Guide all available online in 2023.
What Does Delivered to an Agent Mean (USPS)? – Final Thoughts
Using an agent to handle your delivery is a convenient and efficient way to receive your package if you’re unavailable.
When you order something using the USPS, just make sure you provide the correct details regarding your authorized agent. Don’t forget you can check the status of your order at any time using your tracking number.
If you experience any issues with your package, then simply refer to the FAQ section in this guide for more information.
Hope you don’t wait too long for your next delivery!